Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Bread Basket














The Bread Basket bakery opened in 1996 and has since expanded into a café location at Cumberland Square in Bettendorf. The bakery specializes in breads made with no artificial flavors or preservatives.













The breads can also be found at the Freighthouse Farmer’s Market where I have purchased a couple loaves of wheat and Midwestern Blend, a bread made of “whole wheat flour, whole oats, sunflower, flax and pumpkin seeds, millet, and a touch of honey and molasses.” Beware, the guy in the market booth will almost force you to taste test every one of their breads, so come hungry. You can also find loaves in Hy-Vee stores, you’ll pay a little more, but the taste is worth it.

After a meeting in Bettendorf, I stopped by their café (2306 Spruce Hills Drive) to peruse their sweet baked goods. Gotta love baked goods.





Coffee, of course













Cute little cafe







Though late in the day, they still had a decent selection of sweets, but my eyes immediately latched onto the cupcakes. Unlike big cities, we do not have many bakeries in the area, let alone cupcake stores, so I was happy to see these guys… or girls. I guess cupcakes would be feminine?













They had just 3 flavors left-a cookies n cream, carrot cake, and 2 raspberry cupcakes, so I went with raspberry.














I tend to eat just the tops of cupcakes and muffins. I don’t mess around. I didn’t want to buy a cupcake and sit alone dissecting and mutilating it with a fork, so I went to my car and destroyed it. Well, most of it.














The frosting was light and fluffy with a slight hint of raspberry. The little chocolate on top started to melt into it, yum! The cake was just yellow and a little dry, probably because it was late in the day and the baking seems to be done in the morning. I’d like to stop by some morning to try a fresh cinnamon roll. They also serve deli wraps and sandwiches made on their bread during lunch time.

This place is definitely not a greasy joint, but sometimes you need a little fiber after all that grease. Plus, we are leaving for North Carolina and I wanted to have an update before then. We shall return with greasy joints from the sort-of south in 10 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment